Friday, November 1, 2013

The Journey

DSC_2101
View of 3rd Street from Santa Monica Mall
We all have dreams of what we want for our lives and most often those dreams are postponed. When the opportunity comes for us to work toward that goal we are often driven by what we believe the end result will be, the money, the recognition, or whatever we believe that our lives will be like when we finally reach our goals. We are often frustrated by the road that takes us to this anticipated end, if we reach it at all. Most often, that end result is different from what we anticipated. What we forget to do is to enjoy the journey of getting to wherever it is that we are trying to go. The journey is where we learn and grow and cross many hurdles, which are small successes. Many times we see these small successes as merely stepping stones, but we need to celebrate them just the same. I want to be photojournalist and blogging is how I decided to begin the learning process, along with taking pictures of course. I know that photojournalism is merely telling stories through photos. Sometimes it is just photos and other times it is photos with words, but it is always telling a story.  I have always loved meeting people from all walks of life and I love hearing their stories.  I love celebrating their lives, the successes and the failures, the challenges and the triumphs, it is all what makes us who we are. Even though I would love to be recognized for my work, not necessarily rewarded, but I want others to see and feel what I do.  I want people to respond, to have a reaction of any sort. I have been intentionally living my life and enjoying every step of this journey.  Even the three years where I was recovering from several surgeries and all I could do was plan and research, as well as search within finding my strengths and weaknesses and asking what path am I to take.  I had to get the other voices out of my head (parents, society, church, etc) in order to hear His and I had to be Still.  Those three years I was still and I had a deep desire to live a more meaningful life.  I ask Him everyday to guide my feet, my heart and my tongue. This is where I am being lead too, this life, and I am so at peace with it.

 I have wanted to explore other cultures for as long as I can remember. It actually started with this picture book my mom bought me on Thailand.  No I have yet to get to Thailand, but I have always wanted to go, and I will get there. Moving to Los Angeles gave me that extra courage I needed to make things happen and not just talk about it.  I saw people there be happy not living the status quo. I saw people make a living walking dogs. Yes, some are making over 50k per year doing just that.  Now that I am in Peru, I see people making a living doing everything. I don't see a great deal of industry jobs here like in the states. These people learn skills and market themselves.  There are hundreds of small restaurants, hundreds and hundred of shops for clothes, shoes, food, everything.  These people are entrepreneurs, they are smart, and they are skilled. DSC_5394    

Tell me about your journey or the journey you dream about?

No comments:

Post a Comment