Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Making It Happen, Part 1

Many people ask me how I do what I do.  How did I get here? That answer comes in many forms.  One of the things I believe they are asking me is how could I financially afford to do what I am doing…  The first thing I am going to say is that I trust in my Father to provide my needs.  I wanted to concern myself with living and not making a living. I think of that song, “His Eye on the Sparrow”, and remember that if He takes care of the needs of that sparrow, food, shelter, and health, and He gave me dominion over that sparrow, then He is watching over me.  The Lyrics for this song comes from the Gospel of Matthew. My Father tells me, “Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?”(Matthew 6:26) Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father's will.  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. (Matthew 10:29-31) I do live by these words, and I am reminded every day because He always comes through.  He put these desires in my heart, He guides my path, and I just listen and obey.

Now I know that all of this sounds like much of what you have heard before, but when you step out on faith, He will put people in your path to move you along in your journey as well as to help you grow.  I welcome this, because it is actually the easiest and most beautiful path that I have been on. I do own a travel business, Kalule Travel Groups, that provides income, but I don’t worry about money, I do try to be smart about it though.  Besides these things, I have taught myself to live with a great deal less than I thought I needed. No, not need to survive, need to live. You don’t need as many shoes, and boy do I love a shoe, nor handbags, nor clothes.    I realize that I wear the same things over and over anyway, because once we discover the clothing that is comfortable and look good, we just continue to wash and wear, or in many cases dry clean and wear. So I started getting rid of the things that I didn’t wear. Yes that was hard. This downsizing took place over several years. When I moved from Tampa to California, I only took things that would fit in the suitcases with the intentions of shipping the things in storage out later. Well that never happened because for the price it would cost to ship those items cross country, I could buy them again. So that is what I did. I found a really nice studio apartment in San Fernando Valley and that is where I lived for many years. Downsized! From 2 Br 2 ½ B condo in Florida, to a Studio. Before the condo, there was a 2500 sq.ft. house in Savannah.  The first two was when I was raising my daughter and the Studio, I lived alone.  The only thing different about the studio was that it was without washer and dryer, but the Laundromat was 2 blocks away. No I didn't like it, but I lived with it, because downsizing meant I had money in my pocket and the freedom to live and not worry about housing my STUFF.



Everyone who came to visit when I lived in my studio was first surprised and then wanted to hang out because it was quite cozy, with the deck it was like having an outside room.  So I grew to love this little space, because I took my time to make it my own.

 

  So the first lesson for me was to realize what things were more important to me.  Now you may not want to go where I have gone or even where I am going, but you may want to do something different from what you have been. You first need to de-clutter your life, and that starts in your house. Once you start to do that you will be able to let go of some of the things that you have obligated your time too.  You may need more time with yourself.  Yes it is great to give, but it is also very important to replenish.  You must love and care for yourself. Sometimes we just have to say no and decline things that are going to demand more of us than we are able to give.





 
In the words of Anthony Robbins, ... in life, lots of people know what to do, but few people actually do what they know.

No comments:

Post a Comment