Friday, April 12, 2013

Back On Track

photo credited to 41 inmylife
  Often times I wonder if I even still have the energy to do all of the things that I still want to do in my life.  Then I get up at 5 AM and get more done by nine than most people get done all day.  Why is that?  Is it because I do have the energy, that I am focused, or merely the passion I have for what I do and what I want to do.   Yes at times it is overwhelming, but all in all I totally enjoy my work.  I started my travel agency almost two years ago, and being new to the industry, there was quite a leaning curve and a massive amount of training that I am still working through, but it has been a rewarding and enlightening experience.  Business has had a steady growth mostly through word of mouth, often times mine; but yes I have had quite a few referrals as well. Some of them I could give what they wanted and others I could not.  I am always one to under promise and over deliver. I am just getting to the point where I have an idea of what direction I would like to take my business; areas where I want to concentrate my efforts. That is another marketing campaign in itself, but it is a must do.  Most agents love dealing with the cruise lines, one because the money is good and two because they love cruises.  This August I will go on my first cruise and I am sure that I will have a great time.  I love water and I love island life, so embarking on the Cayman Island as well as Cozumel will be a wonderful experience.  However, I am a bit claustrophobic and I don't imagine that I would want to be on a boat too long. So this five day cruise is perfect for me, and hopefully for the many others that are going with me.  This will also be the first cruise for my daughter and my granddaughter, who will be 11 months old at the time and got her passport at 6 months old. She is ready to be an international traveler. Prior to the cruise, I will be in Berkeley  California for a month house sitting for a professor from University of San Francisco.  I am looking forward to exploring yet another new area of this beautiful country we live in.  I will take you all on that journey as well through this blog.  So keep up with me. Meanwhile, I have been spending a great deal of time working on a new business start-up, Glamour/Boudoir Photography.  I know I know, I have been a photographer for over thirty years, but this time I am going to specialize.  Ten years ago I became a makeup artist on the back of Mary Kay Cosmetics.  Seeing how women would light up at the sight of themselves wearing a new lipstick or with make up on at all, was heart warming to me.  I then realized that something as small as a lipstick, makeup, or a new hairstyle could transform attitudes, perspectives, and even lives.  I knew I wanted to be apart of that, so I acquired the necessary skills to be apart of the beauty industry.  I got my esthetician license and later my cosmetology license, and entered the world of beauty. It was not about the money for me, it was merely the experience of the transformation. So now putting these newer skills with the old skill of photography, I will be able to give that experience to women on a larger scale. So hopefully you will follow me here as well as my photography and travel sites to see how things unfold, and you are welcome to comment in any way that you deem necessary, whether that is an atta-boy, or constructive criticism.  I hope you can keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment