Friday, January 21, 2011

Audio Tour at the Getty Museum

Waiting for the tram that takes you to the Getty
 I have been to the Getty Musem about six times before but this was the first time I thought of taking the audio tour. The place is beautiful and quite overwhelming. Even without the audio player it takes awhile to really take in all that the Getty has to offer.  Usually when I go, I make sure I  see the photography exhibit, because it changes every few months.  Since I was just there in December and saw the present photography exhibits, I decided to start in the North Building, which is immediately to the left after entering the arrival plaza. This is where most of the permanent exhibits are, and the audio tour is only for those permanent exhibits. The audio really brought everything to life for me.  I found it very informative and it made me really slow down and learn about the things that I was viewing.

The fabulous thing about the Getty and all of its wonder is that is a free museum, and that audio tour only cost me five dollars.  This is a place that I think all should see and will definitely enjoy.  The architecture and layout of the museum, designed by Richard Meier, is beautiful. It sits high in the Santa Monica Mountains, which gives you a spectacular view of the surrounding landscape.  There are tables and chair all around where you can sit with your family and/or friends  to enjoy a picnic that you can either bring yourself or purchase from the vendors on the grounds. There is also a beautiful Japanese garden that sits below the travertine clad buildings, where there is also a large grassy area where many just layout their blankets and enjoy the sun.  It is a place where you can spend all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment