Thursday, November 4, 2010

Entering Savannah



My plane landed in Savannah about 9 am on Wednesday, September 1st. I picked up the rental car and loaded my luggage for the drive into town. It was my first time home in almost two years and it was a good feeling for sure. I have always enjoyed coming home, but this time it was different.  Even though Savannah will always be home for me it was the first time I actually felt as though I was visiting.  I realized that I had actually made Los Angeles my home; or did I.    I had always felt this sense of "I am home"when I came back for a visit, but this time I felt as though I was visiting home.

 Growing up here was a great experience, but after moving back after college I didn't like it as much.  I actually started to hate being here, I felt so out of place.  Then years later I learned to appreciate it for what it was, and that is 'where I grew up', 'where I am from'.   Now I love and appreciate  this beautiful city for what it is and am very proud to have grown up here. My daughter attends college here at Savannah State University, my mother's alma mater, and will be moving to Los Angeles upon graduation next year. With the economy being what it is in this country, I believe she is going to use LA as a home base.  She has the same feelings about Savannah as I did so many years ago.

 My parents and many other family members still reside in Savannah, and I have really enjoyed seeing everyone on this visit.  I wish I had more time to do and see more.  However my time here is drawing to an end.  I realize that my parents are getting older, albeit  still in good health, I know that I need to come home more often so I can spend more time with them. My daughter and my parents are the most important people in my life and I want them to always know how important they are, in their heart and in their spirit.  There is nothing that I will not do for them, I now just want to do more with them. This trip has been a true eye opener for me.  It has shown me how important relationships are with those that you love.  It  is something that I don't ever want to live with out.

 I know the day will come when my parents are no longer with me physically, but because of the time we share and the quality of the relationship that we continue to build, I will always feel their presence. Yes, I know I could depart this life before them, if that is the case, then I want to leave them with that same feeling and understanding of what we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment