Monday, August 9, 2010

My Daughter

Whitney boarded the plane today at about 1pm and we are never really too sad when she leaves to go back to school.  This time was not much different.  The difference came for me when I got home and walked through the door and she was not here or was not with me, then I wanted to cry.  I so enjoyed her.  This time it was a little bit different though.  I not only saw my daughter but I saw the woman, and that is an eerie thing for a parent.  I am very proud of the woman that she has become and the woman she is steadily becoming.  I taught her well and she listened.  I feel like I have done a good job. Being a mother was the hardest job that I have ever had to tackle and had to stay the course, which if you know me, you know that I will jump ship when it no longer serves me.  This was a job where that was never an option nor was it ever considered.  Even though I am still her mother, as I will always be, she doesn't need as much mothering anymore. She will always need my love and support, and sometimes guidance, but she no longer need it on a daily basis.  We make some good decisions and we make some better decisions, and that is what constitutes growth, and she is growing in such a graceful way, and I am so very proud of her.

 This is her last year of college after sitting out for a time or two, as most of us have done, and she is ready to embark on life.  The advice that I consistently give her is to follow your heart.  I tell her to  try things and if she doesn't feel passionate about it, move on to the next thing, because life is too short to spend the better part of your life doing something that you don't want to do.  Doing something that doesn't bring you joy. There are going to be many things that you will encounter in life that is not the most fun or exciting thing to do, where you wish you could do anything but that, but those things should be bridges in your journey, not the journey itself.  I tell her to follow her heart and do what truly makes her happy, and if she doesn't yet know what that is, then keep moving and doing until she finds it.

 Next year this time she will be moving back to Los Angeles and I am looking forward to her being out here with me.  We are not just mother and daughter we are friends and truly enjoy each others company. I love you Baby Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment